Friday, April 19, 2013

Game Review: Hill Climb Racing

Hill Climb Racing is an iOS and Android game by Fingersoft that lets you drive a vehicle through a series of terrains. The objectives are to not run out of gas, to keep the driver alive and to go as far as possible. Don't expect an actual race in this game though as there is none, but there is definitely lots of hill-climbing.


In this game, you only get two controls: Brake and Gas. That means driving might be quite easy to learn, although doing it skillfully could take a while. You pick up coins along the way which you can use to upgrade your vehicle, unlock stages and purchase other vehicles. The game looks like it follows the law of physics well, and I commend them for that. The gas indicator is a different story though. It seems like it primarily functions as a timer rather than actual gasoline consumption. And while I'm not really a fan of the graphics (the coins' appearance and font could be much improved), it is acceptable and shouldn't be a showstopper of some sort.

I was initially frustrated about its gameplay, complaining since I have to go back to the beginning when my game is over. I offered several changes that could be implemented in future versions including having a save point and a mission-based reward system. But as I played on, I then understood the reason why the game was devised this way. The challenge is not only in getting farthest, but on how you get there. I've especially enjoyed playing the game when I've finally figured out how to completely control my vehicle to perform stunts that give bonus coins.

My advice is to consider upgrading your vehicle whenever possible. This is essential to be able to make your vehicle fly through the course. Also, when you appear to get stuck in the early levels like I did (I was stuck for a long time on Countryside Level 4), don't give up that easily. It may take a while to get the hang of this game, but when you do, you'll have fun playing. The vehicles and stages you can choose from give enough variety so you won't be bored rather too quickly. I recommend this game to those who want some extreme action in their driving.

Hill Climb Racing is free, but offers in-app purchases. Download this game on iOS or Android.

(Updated 20130423: Initial review no longer reflected my current perception of the game.)

No comments:

Post a Comment